Wat Chedi Luang
Table of Contents
History of Wat Chedi Luang
Wat Chedi Luang (Thai: วัดเจดีย์หลวง, lit. temple of the big stupa) is a Buddhist temple in the centre of Chiang Mai. We visit the temple during our Chiang Mai Temple Tour. Three temples originally made up the temple grounds: Wat Chedi Luang, Wat Ho Tham and Wat Sukmin. Wat Chedi Luang dates back to the 14th century. King Saen Muang Ma (1385-1401) started the construction of the chedi in 1391 to bury the ashes of his father. He didn’t complete the pagoda during his reign though. It was the Queen who constructed the upper part of the great pagoda, installed its spire and gave it its finishing touches.
Construction of the Chedi
Not until the mid-15th century, during the reign of King Tilokaraj (1487-1495), did they finish the construction of the chedi. It was then 82 meters high and had a base diameter of 54 meters: the largest building in the Lanna kingdom. In 1468 they installed the statue of the Emerald Buddha in the eastern niche. In 1545 however, the upper 30 meters of the structure collapsed after an earthquake. Not long after that disaster, they moved the statue of the Emerald Buddha to Luang Prabang. In our morning samlor tour we visit the temple. On our after dark samlor tour the temple is beautifully illuminated as you can see on the picture below.
The reconstruction in the 1990s
Old pictures show the chedi in ruined state, overgrown with vegetation. In the early 1990s, the Fine Arts Department reconstructed Wat Chedi Luang, which partially financed by UNESCO and the Japanese government. Not everyone was pleased with the result of the reconstruction. Quite a few people don’t like the new look of the chedi. They prefer how it looked before the reconstruction. For the 600th anniversary of the chedi in 1995, a copy of the Emerald Buddha made from black jade was placed in the reconstructed eastern niche. To prevent people from climbing the structure they took out the steps of the Naga staircase, as you can see on below picture.
The City Pillar (Lak Mueang)
Also on the temple grounds is the city pillar (Lak Mueang) of Chiang Mai, which is named Sao Inthakin. It is an old Tradition that a town or a city has a City Pillar. In 1800 King Kawila moved the City Pillar to the temple. He also planted three trees, to help the City Pillar to protect Chiang Mai. A festival in honour of the City Pillar takes place every year in May and lasts from 6 to 8 days. In a wihan near the entrance to the temple is the Buddha image named Phra Chao Attarot, which was cast in the late 14th century. On the other side of the chedi is another pavilion housing a reclining Buddha statue.
The sober and beautiful old Ubosot
You can easily spend an hour at this temple. Apart from the giant chedi there are quite a few other fascinating buildings as well as an interesting museum. One of our favorite places is the old Ubosot, the old ordination hall. This is the place where new monks are being ordained and other ceremonies take place. This old Ubosot is located behind the giant chedi. It dates back from 1883 and underwent several renovations, in 1948 and 1997. It is not in use anymore. Probably most viharns and ubosots looked as sober as this building. It is beautiful in its simplicity.
The Buddhist Manuscript Library and Museum
The Buddhist Manuscript Library and Museum is closed on Wednesday. It is a beautiful and interesting museum, especially for people who have more than superficial interest in Theravada Buddhism and in palm leaf manuscripts. The museum gives a lot of information and is very well maintained. On the ground floor interesting, historic pictures are exhibited. On the first floor there is information about palm leaf manuscripts and a collection of beautiful, classic palm leaf containers.