Lanna Ancient House
The Lanna Ancient House was built in 1867. The house used to belong to Grandmother Moung Kham Suaysuwan, a Burmese logging contractor. This area also was the location of the Forestry Office of Siam ,as well as the British and French consulates. In addition, a foreign court was located nearby Nawarat Bridge, close to the present-day Chiang Mai Governor’s Mansion. The house was renovated in 1997, in 2007 and in 2017. It is owned by Chang Beer. If briefly housed a restaurant named The Chocolate Factory. This might well be the one oldest of the Chiang Mai Heritage Houses.
Yong Chang House
The Yong Chiang house is located at the Upakut intersection, named after Wat Upakut. It is on the corner of Thapae and Wichayanon roads, address 2-4 Wichayanon road. A Chinese merchant built it in 2447/1903. It appears on many pictures. This building is also known as the Sri Prasert building. The Sri Prasert shop sold bicycles and radios. In 2014 this house was the Long Chang Boutique Hotel for a short time. Currently it houses a branch office of the UOB Bank.
Leow Yong Nguan House
The Leow Yong Nguan House is located on Tha Phae Road in Chiang Mai. This house belongs to the Saeleow Family. It was constructed in 1915, according to Anu Nernhard. A man called Uy Saeleow built the house. He was an immigrant from China who was involved in trading on the Ping River and was based in the Wat Ket area. He operated boats that carried cargo to Bangkok back and forth. Local people called him “old turtle Uy”. His first residence was the house that now is the Gallery Restaurant on Charoenrat Road. The Wat Ket area was the commercial center until the opening of the Bangkok-Chiang Mai railroad in 1922.
The commercial center then moved to the Sanpakoy area and Thapae Road. I would date the year of construction of the house on Tha Phae Road actually after that, looking at the style of building and the materials used. Uy gave this house the same name: Leow Yong Nguan House. In the beginning the store sold agricultural products and textiles. Later on it sold electronics, bicycles and motorbikes amongst others. Uy Saeleow passed away in 1932. The house is currently in use as a pizzeria on the first floor. There are a number of souvenir shops on the ground floor.
This 130-year old golden teakwood house is of mixed European-Lanna architecture that used to belong to the Uppayokin family.The story of Mosway Teak Manor traces as far back as the 19th century. Mosway Upayokin was the oldest son of Luang Yonakarnpichit. He succeeded his father’s forestry business. To expand the properous living, Mosway built his very own big teak manor near his father’s house we just visited.He carried on very well with the business and led a good life just like his father. Mosway had a son named Sumin Upayokin, who took over the family’s timber business after finishing a bachelor degree at Thammasat University.
Baan Luang Yo
This two-storey half-wooden, half-concrete house belonged to a Burmese merchant and nobleman who came from Moulmein. His name was Mong Pan Yo (1845-1927). He settled down in the Kingdom of Chiang Mai, where he was employed in the King’s palace. Mong Pan Yo was devoted to his adopted home by building Buddhist temples, renovating pagodas, contructing bridges, roads and canals. He became well known and respected among local Thais and British expats. After the Kingdom of Chiang Mai was annexed to become the vassal state of Siam, Mong Pan Yo’s loyalty saw him graciously conferred the noble title by King Rama V and rewarded the forestry concession after the Bombay-Burma Company. His company owned a total of 300 elephants. Due to his good deeds, he received the noble name Luang Yonakarnpichit and accordingly a hereditary surname Uppayokin (sometimes spelt Upayogin) graciously granted by King Rama VI.
Khun Chuang Liang Rukiat Residence
This teak wooden mansion is more than 100 years old was once the house of Khun Chuang Liang Rukiat.